Breakups aren’t easy and yet, we all go through them. Some are harder than others. It can be difficult to engage in your daily activities, hangout with your friends, or even talk about the breakup. Maybe your friends and family don’t seem to understand why you’re struggling so much and say things like, “just get over it”! Your feelings and experiences are valid and your mourning the loss of your relationship. Let yourself feel those feelings and process what has just happened.
You have the power to make yourself feel better. Each person processes and journeys through breakups differently. Here are some tips that I have used and you may find them helpful too!
o Practice and indulge in self-care & self-love
- Low serotonin can make it difficult to create and act on strategies. Moreover, if you have low levels of serotonin, you may experience yourself becoming easily agitated, feeling more down, and/or difficulty controlling your impulses. Sex boosts serotonin, which helps improve your mood. During an orgasm serotonin is secreted which reduces stress and anxiety.
o Use social media smartly
- Disconnect in order to reconnect with yourself. Social media can become overwhelming, especially during this time.
o Have a strong support system
- Tell your support system what you need. If you need them to just listen, tell them. If you need them to just sit with you while you mourn, tell them. People don’t know what we need unless we tell them!
o Find a good therapist
- Talk therapy may help with self-reflection and evaluation. Breakups can serve as a learning lesson.
o Focus on becoming a better person for YOU
- Start doing the things you’ve always wanted to do. The things that you “didn’t have time for” or pushed aside because you were in a relationship.